Guide to Building a Balanced Nourish Bowls
Updated: Aug 30, 2021
In need of a filling and nutrient-dense lunch or dinner? I've got you covered with the perfect well-balanced bowl! Loaded with macronutrients and micronutrients, your body will seriously thank you for this one. The options are endless here ... you'll never get bored of these.
What is a nourish bowl, you ask?
➾ Nourish bowls are nutrient dense bowls that include each macronutrient: a protein, fat, and carbohydrate. Typically, these bowls start with a grain and/or greens base, and are topped with a source of protein and loaded with veggies! Rich in macronutrients and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals), these nourish bowls will keep you satiated and full for long.
These bowls are on of my go-to recipes: so easy to prepare, simple, and delicious. Plus, you can totally meal prep these for the week, making it super easy and convenient!
How to build your bowl:
➾ carbohydrate sources:
- for the base: quinoa, brown rice, kale, spinach, arugula, any type of grain
- toppings: sweet potatoes, carrots, cauliflower, cucumbers, regular potatoes, broccoli, brussel sprouts, squash, tomatoes, zucchini, peppers, corn,
➾ protein sources: chicken, steak, turkey, shrimp, salmon + other types of fish, tofu, tempeh, eggs, beans, lentils
➾ healthy fat sources: avocado, nuts, olives, hemp seeds, different types of oils (e.g, olive oil, refined coconut oil, sesame oil, truffle oil, etc), tahini
➾ flavor add-ons: dressings (ideas - sesame ginger, thai coconut, peanut sauce, olive oil + balsamic glaze, pesto), hummus, tzatziki, cheese, guacamole, fermented foods, herbs and spices
Here are some of my favorite/go-to flavor combinations:
Bowl #1 - Coconut Shrimp Bowl
kale base, air fried coconut shrimp, roasted purple potatoes, roasted carrots, cucumbers, avocado, cashew, sesame seeds, + trader joe's soyaki dressing.
+ would be delicious with coconut flakes and a thai peanut sauce instead of the soyaki dressing.
Bowl #2 - Sesame Tofu Bowl
quinoa and kale base, with sesame tofu, roasted carrots, avocado, cucumbers, cashews, crushed red pepper flakes, sesame oil, and salt + pepper.
+ in the future, I would probably make sesame crusted tofu!
Bowl #3 - Brunch Bowl
brown rice base, poached eggs, roasted/air fried sweet potato fries, avocado, cilantro, olive oil, salt and pepper, and crushed red pepper flakes.
Other flavor ideas:
– mediterranean style: grain + greens base, falafel, spinach, tomatoes, chickpeas, olives, feta cheese, pita bread, + tzatiziki and/or hummus
– mexican style bowl: brown rice base, chicken or steak, black beans, corn, avocado, cilantro, + a cilantro lime dressing
– fall harvest bowl: quinoa and kale base, roasted chicken, sweet potato, brussel sprouts, carrots, dried cranberries, candied pecans, pumpkin seeds, + a balsamic vinaigrette